RESURJ is a transnational membership-based feminist alliance led by younger feminist activists under the age of 40 from Africa, Asia-Pacific, Europe, Latin America and Caribbean, the Middle East and North Africa, grounded in national and regional social justice movements, who seek to realize sexual and reproductive justice for all. Key to this is the meaningful participation of younger feminists in shaping and advocating for transparent, accountable and sustainable development policies and programs. We strive to address inequalities in the work we do through a justice approach, which encompasses an understanding of, and a commitment to, addressing the inter-linkages between our bodies, our health, and our human rights in the context of the ecological, economic and social crises of our times. We aim to contribute to creating long-term systemic change by transforming our ways of thinking, working, and living while relying on the leadership of communities most impacted by sexual and reproductive oppression.
RESURJ’s Call for Actions entitled “RESURJ Now” is an advocacy call to action that aims to place women’s and young people’s human rights, particularly sexual and reproductive health and rights, participation in decision-making, and accountability at the center of health programs and development efforts.
RESURJ is searching for a full-time communications officer. We seek a feminist candidate who is passionate about women’s rights, gender justice and feminist movement building and organizing and with experience of working on communications strategies and developing and using communication tools for social change. The ideal candidate should be able multi-task, be well organized, a quick learner, fluent in English and one other language, possess strong expertise in using social media, experience of website management, and online community building, and be able to work independently. Ideally, the candidate will have experience working with policy, programmes and fundraising teams. We strongly seek candidates with previous working and organizing experience in the Global South.
Overview of Position
The Communications Officer will work closely with RESURJ's Secretariat and members to develop and implement a communications strategy for the Alliance. The role includes taking action to elevate RESURJ’s work externally support its online presence, social media coverage and engagement through RESURJ’s online platforms. The Communications officer will also provide administrative support to the Secretariat as needed.
The Communications Officer will report to the Executive Coordinator, but closely collaborates with the RESURJ membership. The role is home-based and the candidate will work remotely.
Provide communications expertise to develop and implement RESURJ’s communications strategy through:
- Working with the RESURJ communications team to finalize and implement a new communications strategy including external and internal communications needs
- Supporting internal communications including the development and delivery of cross-alliance projects, supporting internal communications needs, acting as point of contact within Secretariat for member’s communications needs
Support RESURJ’s online presence by:
- Developing and sharing content on RESURJ social media channels and interacting with audience (Twitter, Instagram and Facebook)
- Curating and updating RESURJ twitter lists and RESURJ online network of social media allies, in particular younger Global South Feminist voices
- Uploading news, blogs, analysis, publications, RESURJ reports, outputs and other content to RESURJ website
- Maintaining the website and keeping it up to date and accurate (Drupal) and liaising with the Secretariat and Website developers on issues of safety, security, design and functionality
- Leading the update (content, design and functionality) of the RESURJ website alongside the communications team, Secretariat), and website developers following the implementation of the 2019 website audit
- Engaging with RESURJ audience online including by platforming RESURJ members’ work; support partners’ online campaigns when required, and help to develop and design RESURJ-led social media campaigns
Support RESURJ knowledge building and resource platforms by:
- Contributing to the alliance’s thought leadership and advocacy work
- Sourcing content and disseminating from a variety of sources to members and allies through RESURJ quarterly South Feminist Voices, and updating and maintaining resource database
- Maintaining, coordinating and updating the RESURJ online Resource Center and sourcing content for the Center (publications, research, political statements etc)
- Support the development, editing, copy-editing, design, and presentation of working papers and other written outputs
- Designing, disseminating and promoting RESURJ’s monthly Reflections on Our Countries and other written products and updating and maintaining dissemination database
- Support regional and international advocacy engagement by working with members to identify key spaces, target audience and key messages, including support for social media presence during advocacy engagement
Work with the Operations Coordinator to keep track of RESURJ’s M&E tool
- Maintain and keep track of communications analytics (Google and social media analytics) and collect both qualitative and quantitative data and information related to communications
- Develop monthly and quarterly communications reports, collect data, and produce analysis and recommendations in quarterly reports
- Maintain internal RESURJ contacts database up to date
- Capture narratives, stories and outcomes of RESURJ’s communications engagement to support fundraising
- When needed, support with writing and editing of funding reports and proposals as related to communications priorities
- Liaise with secretariat regarding media enquiries and event invitations (when required)
- Support with development of design and content for the RESURJ online annual report
Provide RESURJ secretariat and the Alliance with administrative support
- Provide administrative support for both in-person and virtual meetings including by taking minutes, and documenting actions and outcomes
- Providing regular communications updates to RESURJ secretariat and members including joining monthly member calls
- Regularly check, file and action when required RESURJ’s email account
- Keep track of communications expenditures in line with fiscal sponsors procedures
- Attend the annual RESURJ retreat to support with administration, communications and minutes/ reporting
Required Skills and experiences:
- Knowledge of and commitment to sexual and reproductive justice as well as social justice and movement building (required)
- At least two years of relevant experience (required)
- Qualifications in communications, journalism, development studies or related (desirable)
- Advanced skills using the following or similar: WordPress; Drupal; simple html coding; Canvas; Mailchimp; editing videos and images; newsletter and database management software; using social media tools for online community building, networking, and dissemination of information; design of visuals such as memes etc (required)
- Skills using the following or similar: design software; PDF design and production; content upload and design using online platforms such as Wix and medium; online database/resource databases or curation; graphic design; development, editing and production of publications and digital resources for a variety of audiences (desirable)
- Strong expertise in using social media to implement communications and online community building strategies including Twitter, Facebook, etc (required)
- Excellent organizational skills, attention to detail and ability to handle multi-tasking, problem solving and planning skills (required)
- Strong written and oral communication skills, including fluency in oral and written English and at least one other language (required)
- Experience of using google analytics and developing monthly and quarterly communications reports, collecting data, and producing analysis and recommendations (desirable)
- Must be able to work as a team member and independently, with high level of self-motivation, ability to manage periodic high workloads; strong ability to prioritize and work under pressure (required)
- Ability to listen and communicate clearly and effectively with people from diverse cultures and backgrounds (required)
- Experience in drafting annual reports and donor reports related to communications (desirable)
- Reasonable flexibility, and be able to travel overseas if required
To apply please send a short letter along with your CV expressing your interest and why you think this position would be a good fit for you to email@example.com by February 28th, 2019.
Hours: full-time position (working hours based on location and with some flexibility with other team members)
Compensation: Commensurate with experience
Travel: This position will require travelling 1-2 time per year. RESURJ encourages, promotes and supports diversity in all aspects of its work. Young feminists in all their diversity are strongly encouraged to apply.